Brancalonia is the all-Italian setting for the 5th Edition of the most famous role-playing game of all time. Set in a “back-to-front” version of Medieval Italy, this unheroic, picaresque and roguish world quotes, collects, and mixes references from contemporary Italian fiction and over a hundred works of Italian fantasy tradition, pop culture, and collective imagery.
“Spaghetti Fantasy” is a new fantasy genre: imagine a Spaghetti Western – with swords instead of guns – based on Italian folklore, history and pop culture:
• Masterpieces of Italian fantasy fiction, such as Collodi’s Pinocchioor Dante’s Divine Comedy;
• Spaghetti Western movies such as Sergio Leone’s, and the legendary duo with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill
• Movie classics set in (real or fictional) Italy, like The Princess Bride, Ladyhawke,Flesh + Blood, The Name of the Rose, Da Vinci’s Demons
• Ideas borrowed from videogames set in the Bel Paese, such as Ezio Auditore in Assassin’s Creed
• Nineteenth-century Italian speculative fiction (Calvino, Buzzati, Eco, Pederiali, Guerra-Malerba…)
The Basic Manual of Brancalonia consists of 192 richly illustrated full-color pages, with maps, characters, antagonists, monsters and other images evocative of the Kingdom. This features:
• A general description of the Kingdom, its history and main regions, from the Pale Mountains in the north to the Charybdean Sea in the south, from the barbaric city of Tergesta in the east to the coast of the Zigane Sea in the far west.
• Five new playable races, in addition to the Human, taken from Italian tradition and folklore: the Gifted, the Malebranches, the Marionettes, the Morgants and the Sylvans.
• Twelve new subclasses, one for each of the basic classes, each adapted to the Kingdom and strongly characteristic of Italian history, tradition and folklore: hence we have the Benandante and the Superstician; the Sword-player and the Brigand; the Miraculist and the Friar.
• New Backgrounds, Character Traits, Ideals, Ties and Defects typical of Brancalonian Knaves.
• New Feats, Spells, Treasures, Diseases, and Poisons.
• Secrets, threats, curiosities, places of interest, rumors, monsters and game suggestions for the Condottiero, including a generator of Dives, one of Memorabilia, and one of Roads that go nowhere!
• New Setting Rules: Moves and Whacks (full version); Poor Equipment and Stolen Equipment; Companies, Cronies, and Den management; Bounties, Revels, and Prophecies; Long Rest and Gritty Realism; Dive Games.
• The Introductory Solo Adventure The Son of the Eagle.
• The In Search of Fortunecampaign, in six Episodes.
• Twelve new monsters and twelve antagonists typical of Italian history, tradition, and folklore.